Tuesday, November 06, 2012

He Got There and About My Day

I was up getting ready to for to be an Election Floater Judge when Joel called at 3:13am and read the card he was given (so they don't talk long!). He said "This is Marine Recruit Spaulding" (no longer a Poolee!). He said he would be getting his address out to us in 7-10days. Can't wait to get him a letter...I should start writing it now and have it all ready!

So, as I said I was up early and had to be a the Floater Staging Area at 5:15am to await and see where I would be needed. There was a room of about 50 + folks, all floaters waiting for assignments.
I was fifth person to be called. I was very glad that I was called, because it would have been a long day if I had to sit there all day!  I drove to a near by elementary school and checked in with the Chief Judge. She was so thrilled to have me there. The funny thing was the reason I was called because one of her Check-in Judges had not shown up. As I was walking in this guy walks in with me. He was an hour late.(had a  hard time getting transportation and ended up taking a taxi) He was the guy I was supposed to be replacing. Sue, the Chief Judge told me she was keeping me and called the Board of Elections and relayed that.

I  worked all the different positions when people went on breaks or lunch/dinner breaks. Did crowd control and helped break down after the night was over.
We had two polling books to check in people: run by Pat, Zephorah, Velma and Maynard.
Six polling stations run by Charlotte, Elaine(who had to go home halfway through-sick) and Dave
The two Chief Judges were Sue and Jack and then the extra pair of hands...the floater-Me!

It was a lonnnng day, but an exciting one watching the people continually flood in to exercise their right to VOTE! The precinct I was in had 1268 registered voters and over 800 showed up to vote!

I got to get to know some wonderful folks and found out what a small world it is...Pat and I knew some of the same church people! AND she lives across the street from my community!

Also a gentleman came up and introduced himself and said :I heard you just delivered a prime piece of Real Estate referring to Joel! He was in the military and had been for 17 years. Told me some pointers when writing to Joel...to always be positive. It was a nice thing for him to come up to encourage me. I wished him well as he completes his last three years!

After getting everything broke down and put in their proper place I was allowed to head home...it was 9:25pm! Long dayyyy for sure. I was glad to be home...ate a piece of choc. chip cheesecake and went to bed!

No comments: